Slave Training

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Slave Training

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Does anyone still do it? How do they do it these days? Have we moved past the IC/OOC blended "schools" to actual Slavers training their stock or is there still a glaring shortage of people playing the role of Slaver?

I stumbled across this, from a loooong time ago, it was a "Slave Training Program" outline, for topics I thought slave characters would be trained in if they went through any sort of training in a slaver's house to become sold as a pleasure slave. Some of it I'd still teach IC if I were playing a slaver or a trainer, some of which I wouldn't (the "Attitude"/OOC stuff I'd likely leave off.) So what do you think is going on with IC slave training these days in SL Gor? What's good, what's bad, what's missing?

Slave Training:

3 parts- General Gorean Knowledge, Kajira Basics, Attitude

General Gorean Knowledge:
Gorean society (general laws, etc.)
Culture- specific to their home
Status of slaves
Food
Drinks
Animals
Plants

Kajira Basics:
Commands
Positions
Beauty (care of skin, hair; diet; exercise; cosmetics; perfume; adornments)
Movement (walking, sitting, standing, running, etc.)
Serving food and drinks
Serving sexually
Cooking
Sewing/care of owner’s garments
Cleaning/ care of owner’s quarters
Dancing
Singing
Entertaining (musical instruments, singing, storytelling)
Decorating (rugs, flowers, etc.)

Attitude:
No drama
No underage
Able to separate OOC from IC
Courtesy
Patience
Willingness to learn and improve
Able to let go of control of your r/p
Courage and persistence to stick with r/p, not run/shelf/game etc. whenever things don’t go the way you want them to (key to really submitting to the v/t slave experience) as long as the r/p is actually Gorean in nature.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Bara Mayako
SL Name: Bara Mayako

Re: Slave Training

Postby Bara Mayako » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Tamar Luminos wrote:Slave Training:

Status of slaves
Food
Drinks
Animals
Plants

Kajira Basics:
Commands
Positions

Serving food and drinks
Serving sexually
Cooking
Dancing
Singing

Attitude:
No drama
No underage
Courtesy
Patience
Courage and persistence to stick with r/p, not run/shelf/game etc. whenever things don’t go the way you want them to (key to really submitting to the v/t slave experience) as long as the r/p is actually Gorean in nature.

Re the items in blue: What does this have to do with IC training of slaves? Why would someone who has read the books require training in these things. Why isn't this standard mandatory training for anyone new to Gor, or new to the specific setting? This is just standard, general Gorean knowledge.

Re the items in green: Shouldn't anyone new to Gor who plans to command a slave at some point need to be trained in these, as well?

Re the items in red: As you said, this should be given to anyone who has never roleplayed before, and can be skipped for any slave who has experience in roleplaying. This has absolutely nothing to do with IC slave training.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:16 pm

Tamar Luminos wrote:So what do you think is going on with IC slave training these days in SL Gor? What's good, what's bad, what's missing?

I think it's 100% missing! I know of someone new to Gor who wants IC training right now. I would do it but my role has changed (I could alt I guess) and I am not sure I have the time. Plus I would prefer to work with players who are dedicated to training and not just waiting around for the perfect IC/OOC Master!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Such training makes sounds as schoolwork. Imposed to people playing slaves, never to those playing frees. Seriously, if a rper playing a slave needs to know all about foods, drinks, animals, plants, why not the one playing a free, too??

The best OOC training? The books. After, all should be real RP, with stories, intrigues, etc.
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Sasi wrote:Such training makes sounds as schoolwork. Imposed to people playing slaves, never to those playing frees. Seriously, if a rper playing a slave needs to know all about foods, drinks, animals, plants, why not the one playing a free, too??

The best OOC training? The books. After, all should be real RP, with stories, intrigues, etc.

That's not completely true, assassins have some sort of training scheme.

Good training can be really effective and can form the basis for great roleplay and even better, lasting friendships.

From what I've seen most new players aren't capable of jumping straight into roleplay. I think all sims should have some form of OOC interview and training if its necessary.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Tamar Luminos wrote:Does anyone still do it? How do they do it these days? Have we moved past the IC/OOC blended "schools" to actual Slavers training their stock or is there still a glaring shortage of people playing the role of Slaver?

I don't think we have moved beyond the IC/OOC blended schools to a large degree (I'm using your list below as a guide). I can only speak with any detail about GU formerly GPSU but there still continues to be demand for the classes by new players as well as owners who are comfortable with the full immersion format...ie you enter the sim and all communication related to the training is considered IC. The consistent draw is the accurate information tied directly to the books. All classes include an OOC book reading requirement with the book dependent on the class. I strongly recommend this to the new player to the genre.

I don't see much of a change in the functioning slave houses on various sims other than there are a smaller number. They seem to still use a poor model that consists of inaccuracies and little RP choice. A good example would be the current training in Sais but they aren't alone. This option I'd never recommend.

I stumbled across this, from a loooong time ago, it was a "Slave Training Program" outline, for topics I thought slave characters would be trained in if they went through any sort of training in a slaver's house to become sold as a pleasure slave. Some of it I'd still teach IC if I were playing a slaver or a trainer, some of which I wouldn't (the "Attitude"/OOC stuff I'd likely leave off.) So what do you think is going on with IC slave training these days in SL Gor? What's good, what's bad, what's missing?

Slave Training:

Status of slaves
Food
Drinks
Animals
Plants

Kajira Basics:
Commands
Positions
Serving food and drinks
Serving sexually
Cooking
Dancing
Singing

Attitude:
No drama
No underage
Courtesy
Patience

I agree with leaving off the latter section with the exception of a discussion on the separation of OOC and IC if this is a new player as well as a discussion on basic RP etiquette. Neither would be a requirement and/or could be covered in an overview. What does seem to be missing in the list above is the involvement of various players beyond the Slaver & trainer in the development of a slave ready for the block. A few examples are the Scribe who works with them on language or the Physician who might test their responsiveness to the whip. This one dimensional way of looking at a slave house probably has quite a bit to do with its lack of appeal and the associated burn out of the few players that take on this role.

In an ideal world slave houses would be plentiful in SL Gor but the amount of OOC baggage that goes along with this role seems to have limited anything of quality in just IC RP to almost non-existent.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Bara Mayako
SL Name: Bara Mayako

Postby Bara Mayako » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:20 pm

IC slave training should be just that: the roleplaying of the training a free Gorean woman or Earth woman would get if they were collared.

Everything else is just about learning about the genre, and should be given OOC and available for any new player who wants it, or required by a sim for every player new to Gor, irregardless of the role.

How can you possibly teach a new player properly about OOC/IC separation if you are already muddying the distinction by providing an "IC" training course to teach that distinction, in addition to other OOC matters?

I do agree that it would not be unreasonable to make reading the book about the part of Gor in which the sim is located a requirement for every player new to the genre. I would find it objectionable if a sim only made it mandatory for the players of slave characters.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Bara Mayako wrote:How can you possibly teach a new player properly about OOC/IC separation if you are already muddying the distinction by providing an "IC" training course to teach that distinction, in addition to other OOC matters?

Easily. Full immersion isn't a new concept. OOC/IC separation is more than two different windows.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Yeah, to give you a frame of reference, that list was made up in 2005, for an HTML room I was playing in.

Much more IC/OOC blurring back then, and much more of a need to start with the basics (most people we found stumbling into slave roles had never read a book and had very little knowledge of even the basics, so that was needed as a foundation- but I supposed as more of an OOC thing, since yeah, presumably someone playing a native of Gor would have -some- working knowledge of the basics, but sadly back then most did not.)

And yeah, the free do need a lot of the training in this as well. LOL Especially slave commands. Something that should be so ingrained to the typical Gorean free person would be how to command a slave and what to expect from them, yet this is generally lacking as well. (Not to mention basic knowledge.)

And yes, the books are the best trainers, I'd totally agree with that myself. But- realistically, people don't want to get told they have to read books to r/p in a sim. Most people are lazy, hell, I was the same way about playing in a GoT sim. I hadn't read any of the books, or watched the tv show. I just skimmed a few websites for the specifics of the role I was going to play and jumped in. It'd be nice if we had more r/p of slavers actually working with and training slaves IC but I understand how that's a headache.

What does seem to be missing in the list above is the involvement of various players beyond the Slaver & trainer in the development of a slave ready for the block. A few examples are the Scribe who works with them on language or the Physician who might test their responsiveness to the whip. This one dimensional way of looking at a slave house probably has quite a bit to do with its lack of appeal and the associated burn out of the few players that take on this role.

I really like this idea, and it got me thinking...and yes, I really do wish more people would do that. What if we made a list of suggestions along this line? Sometimes it helps to just get the ideas out there, give people an idea for something they can r/p. Because I really love the idea of using people actually -doing- things for their caste in the r/p and interacting with people in that fashion.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:52 pm

Resolver Bouchard wrote:
Sasi wrote:Such training makes sounds as schoolwork. Imposed to people playing slaves, never to those playing frees. Seriously, if a rper playing a slave needs to know all about foods, drinks, animals, plants, why not the one playing a free, too??

That's not completely true, assassins have some sort of training scheme.

Good training can be really effective and can form the basis for great roleplay and even better, lasting friendships.

From what I've seen most new players aren't capable of jumping straight into roleplay. I think all sims should have some form of OOC interview and training if its necessary.

Mmmh, I should re-read me, sometimes... Else, I have seen such training in many sims, imposed only to slaves, not to those playing frees. And we both agree, not only slaves need, often, to be taught OOC.

The issue for me, is these many sim owners who make assumption that only slaves need such training.

Return to “Slaves”