Chores - Not a big part of slave RP?

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.

2 Part Poll: How much time do you spend on chores? Do you enjoy chores?

I spend less than 20% of my RP time doing chores
20%
I spend less than 20% of my RP time doing chores
20%
I spend 21-50% of my RP time doing chores
6%
I spend 21-50% of my RP time doing chores
6%
I spend 51-80% of my RP time doing chores
1%
I spend 51-80% of my RP time doing chores
1%
I spend more than 80% of my RP time doing chores
1%
I spend more than 80% of my RP time doing chores
1%
1) I enjoy slave chore RP
1%
1) I enjoy slave chore RP
1%
I enjoy slave chore RP
10%
I enjoy slave chore RP
10%
I dislike slave chore RP
10%
I dislike slave chore RP
10%

Total votes: 80
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Re: Chores - Not a big part of slave RP?

Postby Kaitlin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:29 am

I can only speak of my experiences and what I have observed on several sims and I have never encountered anything remotely similar to what you describe in many years in SL Gor.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Tertionus
SL Name: Tertionus Resident

Postby Tertionus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:34 am

Kaitlin wrote:Likely if I was sent off to do a task I would get some help from another slave player or simply return after a time to indicate it was completed.

By this, Kaitlin, do you mean that you will either do the chore if you can find someone to interact with while doing it, or you will not role play it out, but rather return to whomever ordered you to do the chore and role play that it is completed, thereby having done a sort of FTB on the chore?

Or am I reading that wrong?
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:52 am

Tertionus wrote:
Kaitlin wrote:Likely if I was sent off to do a task I would get some help from another slave player or simply return after a time to indicate it was completed.

By this, Kaitlin, do you mean that you will either do the chore if you can find someone to interact with while doing it, or you will not role play it out, but rather return to whomever ordered you to do the chore and role play that it is completed, thereby having done a sort of FTB on the chore?

Or am I reading that wrong?

It depends. If it's a chore intended to add to the ongoing scene then I would emote in chat range accomplishing it and return with the results/outcome. If it is obviously a chore designed to get rid of the player then likely I will find someone to join in or FTB the task and tell them at some later time it was completed should they ask giving them the privacy they have maneuvered to gain.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:13 am

Bara Mayako wrote:
Now, the question is ... are the quotes you provide from the books about slaves happily doing chores together, or what happened to this player, more typical for what slaves experience in SL Gor these days?

I think the situation you have described has nothing at all to do with the books. The problem here is an obvious misunderstanding - or whatever you want to call that - between that woman and her IC owner. He thought he can command her OOC - and she did not agree. Best for them to part ways. If she wants to avoid those kinds of things in the future - it is good to have a long and very clear OOC talk with a potential OOC owner about boundaries.
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Bara Mayako
SL Name: Bara Mayako

Postby Bara Mayako » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:45 am

Edda wrote:
Bara Mayako wrote:
Now, the question is ... are the quotes you provide from the books about slaves happily doing chores together, or what happened to this player, more typical for what slaves experience in SL Gor these days?

I think the situation you have described has nothing at all to do with the books.

I agree completely that what happened to her has nothing at all to do with the books, and is not at all what SL Gor is supposed to be. But for this girl, who was new to roleplaying and only interested in roleplaying a slave, not being one, which was why she came to SL Gor and did not stay in the SL BDSM scene, this happened enough times in SL Gor, that she has given up on SL Gor completely. Now, granted, her experience is limited, somewhere between 6 and 10 sims, I'd guess, but she had the bad luck to run into the the wrong types too many times. It has coloured her impression of SL Gor negatively.

I am not surprised that Kait doesn't run into this -- she's experienced and knowledgeable enough a roleplayer that she can probably pick up within seconds that someone is not going to give her the type of RP she's looking for.
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Postby Mat » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 pm

I think that with many of these quotes that we forget that there were very different slaves in gor not all were love slaves and obtained because of their beauty and for you to swoon over. There were many slaves who were there just for work nothing but work not for relationships with the owner they may not ever meet the owner if it is a big house or particular powerful owner.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Tertionus
SL Name: Tertionus Resident

Postby Tertionus » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Kaitlin wrote:It depends. If it's a chore intended to add to the ongoing scene then I would emote in chat range accomplishing it and return with the results/outcome. If it is obviously a chore designed to get rid of the player then likely I will find someone to join in or FTB the task and tell them at some later time it was completed should they ask giving them the privacy they have maneuvered to gain.

I don't think the issue is slaves not wanting to do chores. Most slave players, I think, are like you, in that they would make a judgement call about the necessity of the chore actually being role played out, and if it -was- the kind of chore that would have them sitting alone and typing, then they would either FTB or find someone to do it with.

I think the issue regarding chores is a lot more on the side of the players of free characters. They don't know how to interact with slaves, so they send them away to do chores. Or they misunderstand and think that everyone playing a slave is utterly enamoured of chores, and gets a kick out of being sent away with a prim-n-script brush to the other side of the sim. Or, the worst type, they believe there is a difference on an OOC level between slave players and free players, and that slave players should be made to 'prove' that they have done chores.

I understand what you're saying with the OP, but I also think that when people do talk about 'notecards' and 'alone' they're talking about the interactions where those things are the case. People have a habit of speaking up when they're not happy, and being quiet when they are.

The thread will be useful for those new to Gor RP though. It'll stop a future fad of 'I do not do chores' in profiles.
Thyri
SL Name: Thyri Carver
Caste: Scribe
Role: Free Woman

Postby Thyri » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:26 pm

I've been sent away to do chores before. I took it upon myself though to notecard them for the person who requested them. Why? Because I felt it fit in with the immersive nature of my RP of being a slave.

Anyone who spent any kind of time around me in Telnus will tell you there was one black haired slave running around the entire sim almost exclusively involved in RP chores. It became a bit of a joke around here how much pie baking I was doing.

If my RP slave wants to do chores, great. If I see a slave in RP who constantly up and leaves the second the men leave the RP and the women are left... oh hell yah I'm going to send them to do some choretime. If they want to notecard it and type it up in 500 words or more.... fine. If not that's fine too. They obviously wanted to leave the scene anyway.

I see so many slave RPers complaining that the free players dont know how to interact with the slave players. Let me share a LOT of my interactions when slave players approach me for RP, and I'm already involved in RP.

FW 1: So I says to sally, hey sally.... (insert description here)
FW 2: Thats very interesting but did you hear what Bonnie did last week?
Slave: Tal Mistresses
FW 1 and 2: Tal girl
FW 1 and 2 continue their conversation
Slave: Preens and flicks lint off of her beautiful silks
Slave: May I get you something to drink?
FW 1 and 2 decline
Slave: Preens and checks their nails
Slave: Permission to kennel mistresses?

The slave RPer is obviously trying to call attention to themselves but they have contributed NOTHING to the conversation or emoted anything about an intent to spread hte gossip. But yet they sit there preening and trying to get the attention drawn to them

Not every aspect of slave RP is the "glory position" the look at me center of attention look at my pendulous orbs bouncing. Sometimes a slave player is QUIET and not sitting there fidgeting like they've got an urt crawling up their backside.

Now I'm sure the harpies will shriek "OOC SLAVE RIGHTS!" and start picketing or something, but hey sometimes chores ARE a part of slave RP. That overused quote from Beasts completely contradicts that there WERE domestic girls, there WERE mill girls, work slaves, etc. What that quote is talking about is a love slave. That ties nicely into that whole Perfect Bondage quote that is also tossed around like so much slave candy.

Of course everyone in SL is the perfectly trained pleasure love slave exotic poison lipped barbarian passion slave right? Cause we cant just have a slave who is a domestic. Laws no! That might actually require a RPer to do more than sit AFK until the men arrive so the boot humping can begin.
Be very polite. -Flagg RIP 2009
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Chores are a part of slave RP, not 80% of slave RP. See quotes given in 1st page of this thread.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:08 pm

I feel really stupid here, and maybe it's the various projects I have on the go frying my brain, but I can't figure out what option to pick on the poll.

If I am with a free person character and I'm weeding their garden, sweeping their floor, serving them, bathing them... I don't consider it chores, I consider it roleplay.

If I am with other slaves and we are squashing grapes, doing dishes or laundry... again, I don't consider it chores, I consider it roleplay.

If I'm actively engaged with another player, then I'm roleplaying. I don't think I differentiate the types of roleplay into chore or not chore related so I don't even now if I could break it down.

However, if someone tells me OOC that I have to go write X amount of lines of "chores" and send in a notecard, to me that is what I think of when people say chores, and that I rarely do.

The exception being when I chose to engage in solo writing for my own character development or amusement, or because I'm furthering a story with someone via notecard. Again though, it's not chores, it's writing.

Edit to Add: As a panther girl I did a lot of solo writing: hunting, setting up camp, making my clothing. I did it because I enjoyed it, but I didn't think of it as chores or chore RP. As a slave I sometimes do this as well, when there isn't anyone around to roleplay with I use my broom animation and write about trying to keep the entrance to the tavern clear... until Asea drops more snow on me! :lol:

Return to “Slaves”