The Angst of the Unowned Slave

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.

How much RP does the unowned slave get

Plenty to include sexual RP
17%
Plenty to include sexual RP
17%
Sporadic to include sexual RP
10%
Sporadic to include sexual RP
10%
Primarily Serving Drinks & Food or slave to slave RP
15%
Primarily Serving Drinks & Food or slave to slave RP
15%
Negligible/None
8%
Negligible/None
8%

Total votes: 48
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

The Angst of the Unowned Slave

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:09 pm

I have a confession to make. There is one role that I would refuse to play in SL. The Unowned Slave. I won't debate that this actually would not exist in the books because that is pretty evident.

In order to experience the full dynamics of slave RP I personally believe it does require an owner. For years I have heard the tales of no RP, no sex, being bored to tears, lack of acceptance of an NPC owner, paga girls & coin sluts not being used, empty taverns and brothels and the list goes on and on. No one seems to want a slave that does not belong to them in some fashion or perhaps another player they know.

It might be fun to play for a short period of time but being an unowned slave just seems to be a recipe for going without RP in SL. What do you think?
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Sabina Takakura
SL Name: WAT.
Caste: Hobo
Role: Zombie Killer
Home Stone: My cat.
Owner: Reddit.

Re: The Angst of the Unowned Slave

Postby Sabina Takakura » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:24 pm

I played it for a while on Maia. She was NPC owned. I still got a ton of rp. It's about the character, and how the character can place themselves in situations to get rp. From a mock battle amongst slaves, to dark alley sex, to selling a story on the street to a free woman, there was always something to do.
lexiebum
SL Name: Lexie Bumstead
Caste: Beardfondler
Role: fondler of beards
Home Stone: Original Cardonicus

Postby lexiebum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:27 pm

It has its good and bad points like anything else, Lexie has been without an owner for some time now and yes in terms of rp it can cause problems (travelling alone, not recognizing NPC owners, getting ignored - I wont say which sim but I spent a whole week there attempting to rp with people only to be blanked most of the time).

When I first became un owned I kinda enjoyed the freedom it gave me to pick and choose my rp,development as a character, and the prospect of travel.

But I will be honest Im kinda sick of it now, even being in a slavers house is not the same I know its only a game and its not real but having an owner gave me a stronger sense of belonging and it was nice to have the ooc friendship and laughs that can come from it.
A wise man never plays leapfrog with Unicorns.
Username

Postby Username » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:35 pm

I don't think it requires an owner per se, but it does require interaction. Any role requires interaction to be enjoyable. Granted, having a one-on-one RP partner is the best chance you have at getting it, but depending on what your need is, you can have it without.

I see more SIMs being accepting of NPCs now than ever. I think being "unowned" is easier now than in the past.
lexiebum
SL Name: Lexie Bumstead
Caste: Beardfondler
Role: fondler of beards
Home Stone: Original Cardonicus

Postby lexiebum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:44 pm

Targy wrote:I don't think it requires an owner per se, but it does require interaction. Any role requires interaction to be enjoyable. Granted, having a one-on-one RP partner is the best chance you have at getting it, but depending on what your need is, you can have it without.

I see more SIMs being accepting of NPCs now than ever. I think being "unowned" is easier now than in the past.

Oh I agree completely it is much easier now and I have always been a believer of you get out of rp what you put in, being a quite independent minded person irl I can happily continue without an owner, but I miss the type of friendship you get from it (though I know not all have that I appreciate I was lucky enough to have an exceptional owner who was a great OOC friend)
A wise man never plays leapfrog with Unicorns.
Sabina Takakura

Postby Sabina Takakura » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:51 pm

lexiebum wrote:Oh I agree completely it is much easier now and I have always been a believer of you get out of rp what you put in, being a quite independent minded person irl I can happily continue without an owner, but I miss the type of friendship you get from it (though I know not all have that I appreciate I was lucky enough to have an exceptional owner who was a great OOC friend)

That I can understand, but even now, when I do have an IC owner - because of our schedules I rarely see him in rp. Most of the time I play Euro times and he plays US. Not all the time, but lately. So we chit chat in ims and have that fun friendship, but it only plays a minimal part in my rp story at the moment.
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:59 pm

I just want to clarify, by Unowned you mean not a personal girl?

If so, I spent a good portion of my SL Gor as "unowned" if that's what you mean. I've been owned by cities and houses and played city slave to coin girl and now again coin girl. I didn't mind it then and don't mind it now either, it's always worked pretty really well for me. In those times I've always had little interaction with the Slaver or owner and felt responsible to make my own RP.

I also played a personal slave and loved the story of that as well and found it comforting to log in and know you had guaranteed RP partner who you knew you meshed with and an going story you could just pick up without any set up, don't get me wrong I really did like that, but I don't have too many issues as a public slave either. Public slave gives me the freedom and the IC reason to interact with everyone and anyone. I tend to stand in my own way in RP and being a private slave I'd sometimes limit myself the types of interactions I'd do because it didn't make sense to me that as a private slave my girl would do certain things. Just my own personal pet peeve seeing private girls acting like public so I personally don't do it. So being public again I find I'm getting to do all kinds of RP that I hadn't in a while.

I feel like a cow because I don't want to sound like I'm bragging but I never lack for RP, sexual or otherwise, with all kinds of characters and types of roleplayers and almost none of my RP involves serving. I do realize every day that I'm ridiculously lucky, I have some sort of RP horseshoe stuck somewhere.

A couple of nights ago I was in the Tospit sweeping, was a quiet night, late and I was thinking about logging off. This stranger walks in and I admit for a moment I sighed thinking if only I'd logged out 5 minutes earlier I'd have been able to go to bed and now I'd have to least do a few posts and send him up to the village. So I smiled and dropped a little post, nothing special and waited... then BOOOM he dropped this wall of text double post emote on me. I could have fallen out of my chair. I ended up staying up all night rp'ing, and no, not sex, just this incredible scene that left me on the edge of my seat and his writing and vocabulary made me feel illiterate. The best writer I've ever met in SL in any genre bar none, and that's say a lot because I've played with a lot of incredible players.

Then he was gone and I don't know if I'll see him again as he doesn't play on that sim. For me the typist it was a one of scene, but for my Linx it had a serious impact on her and very much changed her story line and will be incorporated into what she does and where she goes from here.

If there is one downside of playing a public slave it's that there are more individual RP scenes than stories. I don't mind that either though because I feel the story is mine, my character's, and just like my life it's not made up of one person. I can weave the scenes I have with different people into the quilt that is her life, because even if some patches only show up once they were worth it. In the last two weeks I've had probably 6 amazing scenes with 6 different characters, about half of those did end up involving sexual RP. They might all have been one off's, but Linx's story still moves forward as HER story even if those characters never enter it again.

Edit to add... Technically the people who owned my character in those roles weren't NPC, they were players, but my stories never revolved around theirs and could go days or longer without ever seeing them even for a nod let alone a story shaping scene. Being part of a big house or kennel is very similar to being "unowned" in that way and if I can make these work I think I could make the NPC owner work just as well.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Pinkie Pancake wrote:I just want to clarify, by Unowned you mean not a personal girl?

That would count as well and I do understand your comment about feeling like it is bragging when you share what has been mostly positive experiences. I often feel like I have been playing in another world when I compare experiences or offer feedback. I don't feel superior just lucky...very lucky.
:hiding:
I think it is important to offer the other side and I was hoping some of that came out in this thread even if I do believe lexie's experience is what I hear most often.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:27 pm

In my experience, unowned girls don't stay unowned for long. I am, of course, referring to girls without an actual owner (whether a city or an individual). In fact, that's one of my hesitations when looking for a new place to play - there's a good possibility that my character would get "kept." :fleeflee:

As far as city slaves go, I've played them before, and the consensus I've come up with (shared by a few friends who also have played the role) is that City Kennels are where good kajirae go to die. I don't think you could pay me to play a city girl again. :shakehead2:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Sabina Takakura

Postby Sabina Takakura » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:38 pm

HAHAH I just had this image of a slave being taken out back like old yeller.

I dunno, I'm enjoying slave house RP. I can almost always find a reason to walk up to someone to start a scene. I think the only reason Maia hasn't been bought or bid on by a lot of guys is that she's too expensive and they're all poor folk. Teehee.
I don't care much about the actual ownership part - other than what Lexie said. I like having an owner on my character to have someone to RP with occasionally, and lolz with in ims. Someone to turn to when I need an extra push on my story. Is it crucial? No.

Return to “Slaves”