Appearance Modification: Who pays?

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.

Who pays for the avatar modifications?

The slaver
21%
The slaver
21%
The slave
10%
The slave
10%
Both
13%
Both
13%
Other
5%
Other
5%

Total votes: 98
Josef of Ar
SL Name: Josef Xaris
Caste: Merchant Caste
Role: Slaver
Home Stone: Glorious Ar
Owner: Logic. It works bitches.

Re: Appearance Modification: Who pays?

Postby Josef of Ar » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:04 am

Oor wrote:
Josef of Ar wrote:Also, no tiaras, no crowns and no damn hats.

You are a devil, and you are mean.

But I like you.

I like you when your mouth is busy doing things other than talking.
Gor Evolved Lifestyler
Perseverance does not equal worthiness --Dr. Gregory House
http://mercatorviscus.blogspot.com/

Postby ... » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:37 am

Josef of Ar wrote:I like you when your mouth is busy doing things other than talking.

That's rare. :D
Dren Bernard
SL Name: Dren Bernard
Caste: Physician's
Role: On sabatical
Home Stone: Salernum

Postby Dren Bernard » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:24 am

So back to real limits:

new owner meets new slave:

You pay, no you pay, no you pay, no YOU pay! ....... If you not paying, no game! Period!

Appearing in lots of profiles near you soon! :D
Dren & Kait's Gorean Physician's resource:
http://teslikandsiproot.webs.com/
Sacha
SL Name: Resident Resident

Postby Sacha » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:32 am

Aashe,

I'll take the abstract first. Is it necessary to make or assume a hard and fast rule for the answer? Isn't the answer as simple as communication between two individuals? Does IC ownership denote an obligation to pay for changes or is continued RP considered implied consent that the slave will make the purchases? I guess I'm more concerned with the purpose of the question.
This should be interesting.
Tirza
SL Name: Tirza Ember
Owner: Josef Xaris

Postby Tirza » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:53 am

I don't think I would be comfortable with someone paying for things for my avatar, especially someone who is only an rp partner. Getting a new hairstyle is no big deal, shopping for clothes is something I do anyhow, changing my shape I can handle. As for changing my skin, well that doesn't seem very realistic to me, I guess I could get a tan, but honestly my avatar is mine, if someone wanted to change my avatar that drastically I probably wouldn't be involved with him very long. I'd happily go on about my way while he continued on his quest to find his perfect pixel slave.
Sacha
SL Name: Resident Resident

Postby Sacha » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:52 am

Tirza wrote:I don't think I would be comfortable with someone paying for things for my avatar, especially someone who is only an rp partner. Getting a new hairstyle is no big deal, shopping for clothes is something I do anyhow, changing my shape I can handle. As for changing my skin, well that doesn't seem very realistic to me, I guess I could get a tan, but honestly my avatar is mine, if someone wanted to change my avatar that drastically I probably wouldn't be involved with him very long. I'd happily go on about my way while he continued on his quest to find his perfect pixel slave.

So your saying I couldn't cut off your leg and call you hoppity?

Damn.
This should be interesting.
Izzy
SL Name: Izzy
Role: kajira

Postby Izzy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:27 am

For me its very simple. YOU want me to change my appearance that will involve a cost - then YOU are taking me shopping. A specific RP that *I* choose to take part in, then I will pay. That is different from having it forced upon you in RP. Having the items in my inventory afterwards would be a moot point, as I would be most likely be changing back to my own preferences once it was over.
"The essence of independence has been to think and act according to standards from within, not without."
— Aleister Crowley
Ghost
SL Name: Ghost of a chance
Caste: of thousands
Role: with the punches
Home Stone: more weight
Owner: H'ish or J'ish
AkA: tsk tsk

Postby Ghost » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:49 am

Once upon a time A man insisted I needed a high range AO. My own was passable not horrible by any means but I really really wasn't able to afford one at that time. Finally he bought one for me, a 2 k plus one, next day having sorted out a few lindens I re-paid him. End of what had been thus far seemed like a good match.

I really could have done without that AO,but because I'd OOC wanted to accommodate what this chap wanted and had believed (wrongly) that the weeks spent discussing our individual perspectives had brought us to an accord.

If someone wants to change major things about me now, sorry but they would have to want it enough to fund it. If I want to change something about me I will fund it when I can budget for it. I will role play any change imposed quite happily.

Linden dollars, prims and scripted items, generally a reliance on the visual things in SL hamper imagination, IMO.
"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a song sing it" Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu ;)
Willow
SL Name: Willow Jenipe

Postby Willow » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:55 am

It comes down to how willing a slave you're going to be, and how much you love masterkins, and so on.

Anyone stoopid enough to want to enslave me gets what they put a collar round. That's IC - chain luck and all the rest of it. A new skin, shape and AO is OOC, so he'd have to pay the full cost of it, as I don't personally want a different one. And spending serious Lindens on a new skin, AO, eyes, whatever for me would not be value for money, given the amount of time that I'd be around for him, as I'd warn him. Not sure why he'd think he'd be able to do better anyway, as mine are as good as any out there.

I'd be prepared to wear another hairstyle from my inventory, and by now my inventory's so full of 'em that we're bound to find something. Otherwise he pays, 'cause I personally don't want any more hair. Sliders I'd also be prepared to do. But that, mes enfants, would be the limit of it.
Thyri
SL Name: Thyri Carver
Caste: Scribe
Role: Free Woman

Postby Thyri » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:42 am

Yep, I really am averse to major avatar change in the first place. I understand if you want to enslave someone because their text gets you going, and yes this is a visual environment, but if you want the change AFTER the enslavement fact with no OOC discussion saying "hey if I enslave you, I want you to change... umm... everything about your avatar." Ummm get bent? Other than that, he's coughing up the money.

I can build a perfectly acceptable/hawt avatar for 100% free. Just built one the other day. Just to see if I could build an acceptable looking avatar, AO and all, hair to shoes, for 100% free. it CAN be done. Its not easy. But its possible. Now, demanding a certain skintone, skin style, makeup, etc... umm no. That costs money. Even if its 100L. Some people dont have that and dont feel like camping or splodering or whatever to get lindens and definitely dont have the spare cash laying around to buy lindens and arent artistically talented enough to build something for sale... whatever. Some people dont have the lindens. And they can be stellar Rpers. And while their avatar style may not be your choice, that's your option then to negotiate OOC with them, or reject their offer to RP.

By now I've amassed pretty much every forseeable hairstyle for thyri I could ever want (or not want, some of the hairs in my inventory I'll look at and say I dont care if it was free, why oh why do you have this?!). But when it comes to hair color.... black is a VERY hard color to bleach out. And even if you could quadruple process it to white, then you'd have to tint it yellow for the blondie look. 5 processes on any hair would be a nightmare and it would look like straw.

So some things just cannot be realistically done. Giant boob jobs, butt implants, stretching someone taller, squooshing them shorter, extreme weight gain or loss.... sometimes realism isnt as easy as moving a slider.
Be very polite. -Flagg RIP 2009

Return to “Slaves”