Appearance Modification: Who pays?

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.

Who pays for the avatar modifications?

The slaver
21%
The slaver
21%
The slave
10%
The slave
10%
Both
13%
Both
13%
Other
5%
Other
5%

Total votes: 98
Erik
SL Name: Erik Fyanucci
Caste: It's complicated
Role: Laugh-master
Home Stone: Reality
AkA: Ari Blackthorne

Re: Appearance Modification: Who pays?

Postby Erik » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm seeing a lot of "half-half" in here... Frankly I disagree.

If I, as the slaver or new owner want changes that cost money (hair, skin, clothing, etc.) - then *I* should be the one paying for it. Why? Because it is unlikely she will refuse me my wants. And therefor it would be *wrong* of me to make those changes, and (technically) force her to pay for them.

If she DOES refuse, then my answer is simply: good for her!

Now, if SHE wants to make changes (same things, hair, skin, clothing, whatever), then it is her own responsibility, unless I am feeling philanthropic and throw some money at her.

The *problem* (yes, I specifically choose to use that word: problem) is that she will NOT want to disappoint him. Therefore, if he says "buy this" or "buy that" she will - even to the point of spending real money to get the L$ needed. I've seen it way too many times.

My girl has a lot of L$. I have no idea how much, but I know she does, or at least has access to it just based on discussions and things said on the side. But yet, I still absolutely *insist* that I pay for anything and everything I want of her with regard to what she wears and any avatar enhancements (right down to hair style and the rest.) Why? Because it's something *I* want, and it not right to have her pay HER money for something *I* want.

That's how I see it.
Thyri
SL Name: Thyri Carver
Caste: Scribe
Role: Free Woman

Postby Thyri » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:39 pm

I have to say, he's gonna be the one footing the bill. I agree with Dove that even if something is RPed, then the complete overhaul of this person's SL avatar is an OOC thing. If they RP that the individual has a hair color change, RP it. Weight gain or loss? RP it. But when it comes to a new skin, shape, hair, etc etc etc et al... his butt wants the changes? His butt pays.
Be very polite. -Flagg RIP 2009
Erik
SL Name: Erik Fyanucci
Caste: It's complicated
Role: Laugh-master
Home Stone: Reality
AkA: Ari Blackthorne

Postby Erik » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:42 pm

Thyri wrote:I have to say, he's gonna be the one footing the bill. I agree with Dove that even if something is RPed, then the complete overhaul of this person's SL avatar is an OOC thing. If they RP that the individual has a hair color change, RP it. Weight gain or loss? RP it. But when it comes to a new skin, shape, hair, etc etc etc et al... his butt wants the changes? His butt pays.

Hell just froze over.
My comments were actually more diplomatic than a woman's...
Ala
SL Name: Ala
Caste: Puddin' Pop!
Role: Bondchuk
Home Stone: His feet
Owner: da Jarl dude

Postby Ala » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:44 pm

I am with Dove on this.

And I am probably gonna sound harsh. But here is the thing. Those who play a slave CHOOSE to play a character whose very life and existance is at the will of her owner. IC he can do what he pleases with his property including and not limited to cutting or shaving hair, stuffing her with high fat foods to make her fatter, slimming her by feeding her only sufficient to survive....all have precedance in the books btw.

OOC, no one can force anyone to buy anything if they don't want to. But there are PLENTY of freebies around that are actually quite good, you just have to hunt for them.

I have never expected anyone else to fund my avatar, particularly for items (such as hair) that is non transfer. I get to keep it long after the rp is finished, re-use it, the next time something similar happens....and in four plus years of rp, Ala has had her hair cut and/or shaved by more than one man. Seems a little unfair that the first dude is up for the cost. Or perhaps I should have charged all the men for it each time....could have made a killing ;) :lol

If funding really is an issue, and the other player wants to contribute, all good. If not, don't wear hair at all, and wear a floaty texty thingy "hair growing" or whatever. But I don't see why just because the person plays a free person, they have deep pockets. I just don't! If you really don't like the IC changes they are making to your character...move on.
Capture the mind ~ all else will follow.

I am not a bitch ~ I just have a low tolerance for bullshit
Escapee
SL Name: elzbieta balfour
Caste: gone
Home Stone: gone
AkA: Hollie

Postby Escapee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:47 pm

/me ice skates across hell and smiles

I agree with both of the above posts. I've spent about all the L$ I want to spend on my avatar, having bought different skins and enough hair to open up my own hair outlet. If someone wants a dramatic change that involves a new wardrobe or significant alterations, I will need to ask for a little help financially.
it was
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:00 pm

I said both, but it really depends on situation to situation usually I would just pay for it myself and say look I'll foot the bill help if you'd like but don't worry about it lets just rp. In fact someone died my hair blond once and asked if I had blond hair I said no but I can get it and tped to the hair store and got it and paid it myself because I didnt mind paying for it to keep the roleplay going it was fun after all. That said if they had did it and I was in perhaps a pissy mood I'd probably tell em no that they could either buy it or just play make believe.
Hockey Stick!
Josef of Ar
SL Name: Josef Xaris
Caste: Merchant Caste
Role: Slaver
Home Stone: Glorious Ar
Owner: Logic. It works bitches.

Postby Josef of Ar » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:37 pm

I have very specific requirements for the appearance of slaves in my house and these are requirements that I am mostly unwilling to waver on in any way, shape or form. This is clearly explained to each girl that I speak with about being a prospective part of my house.

Will I pay for it? Absolutely not. I make my expectations clear from the word go and if you're not willing to meet my expectations then we're not going to role-playing together on that level. This would be no different that my expecting Melisande to pay for my attire because she as a sim owner in conjunction with her moderation team has put forth a certain standard of appearance to be maintained in Imperial Ar.
Gor Evolved Lifestyler
Perseverance does not equal worthiness --Dr. Gregory House
http://mercatorviscus.blogspot.com/
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Postby ~pancake~ » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:54 pm

If it was something I agreed to RP out I'd pay for it myself, or just RP it via text without the visual if possible.

I am leery about the potential of indebtedness being used against me or the perception that I might be using someone for things rather than just their company. It's the same reason I also get uncomfortable about gifts. I even insist on paying rent to my partner in our OOC home.

I'm not suggesting that's the right answer for everyone, but it's just how I'm built, SL or RL.
I don't mix money and family, money and friendship, money and romance, nor money and RP.
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:57 pm

My avatar, I pay for it. Thats what I think, at least, so long as we're not talking about brand specifics.

I mean, 'I want you to have dark skin' isn't the same thing as 'I want you to buy this specific skin..oh, and by the way, it's $5,000L.'.

Postby ... » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:05 pm

FeorieFrimon wrote:My avatar, I pay for it. Thats what I think, at least, so long as we're not talking about brand specifics.

I mean, 'I want you to have dark skin' isn't the same thing as 'I want you to buy this specific skin..oh, and by the way, it's $5,000L.'.

This.

Return to “Slaves”