Appearance Modification: Who pays?

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.

Who pays for the avatar modifications?

The slaver
21%
The slaver
21%
The slave
10%
The slave
10%
Both
13%
Both
13%
Other
5%
Other
5%

Total votes: 98
Double Aa
SL Name: Mr Gor

Appearance Modification: Who pays?

Postby Double Aa » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:51 pm

A slaver and his new property get involved in an ongoing roleplay storyline, where the slaver takes dramatic steps to transform her appearance.

This process includes:
-Cutting and re-styling her hair
-Having her gain weight and develop more muscular features
-Tanning her skin substantially
-Applying a custom brand to her thigh

All these actions will require purchase of new avatar items: hairstyles, a new skin, and possible modifications to her shape (let's pretend that it requires purchase of a shape), tattoos, clothing, etc. All these actions are done in-character through detailed roleplay and all the consequences of this roleplay are accepted.

The question- who foots the bill for purchasing these avatar modifications?
"In Gor, everyone plays to win so we just set up the rules to create mutually assured destruction."
Rayzor McAuley
SL Name: Rayzor McAuley
Role: old salt

Re: Appearance Modification: Who pays?

Postby Rayzor McAuley » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:57 pm

I think that if were all agreed upon OOC, then both parties should split the bill.

The absence of proof is no proof of absence.
Runt
SL Name: Pie
Owner: Real Life

Postby Runt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:58 pm

One suggests it, the other agrees...each paying half seems fair to me.
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Postby Claude Belgar » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:44 pm

Not enough unformations. Is he forcing those changes on the slave ?
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
Jani
SL Name: Janine Whetmore
Owner: of myself hopefully

Postby Jani » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:50 pm

I'd be inclined to say the slaver does simply because of the fact that it's his desire to change the slave to what he wants. Granted you can make the arguement that the slave must want the changes as well seeing she is now willing enough to be under the control of the slaver, but then I'd argue back that the slave was perfectly happy with theirself as they were. How much would you expect someone else to pay out of their pocket to make themselves fit the image you see for them? Then where does it stop? Does the slaver want the slave to wear only the best clothing? Maybe the slave is all for the changes then yeah they both can pay equally, but if you want me to change my dress, my looks, hair and what have you, then buy the stuff for me same as if I want you to wear a striped head, I'd give you the hair not expect you to go out and buy it.
Jani
SL Name: Janine Whetmore
Owner: of myself hopefully

Postby Jani » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:51 pm

Um, who's the "Other" in the pay for it equation?
Mani
SL Name: Belinda Millet
Role: barbarian slut
Home Stone: None as of yet
Owner: Wulluf

Postby Mani » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:06 pm

Jani wrote:I'd be inclined to say the slaver does simply because of the fact that it's his desire to change the slave to what he wants. Granted you can make the arguement that the slave must want the changes as well seeing she is now willing enough to be under the control of the slaver, but then I'd argue back that the slave was perfectly happy with theirself as they were. How much would you expect someone else to pay out of their pocket to make themselves fit the image you see for them? Then where does it stop? Does the slaver want the slave to wear only the best clothing? Maybe the slave is all for the changes then yeah they both can pay equally, but if you want me to change my dress, my looks, hair and what have you, then buy the stuff for me same as if I want you to wear a striped head, I'd give you the hair not expect you to go out and buy it.

:clap:
I'm afraid i'd have too agree with this, if someone wanted me too change things a certain way on my avatar and i'm perfectly happy with how she looks currently to do this so they'd be footing the bill or i'd be outta there. I'm not taking money from my own pocket for something i didn't really want.
Hawt Sommer

Postby Hawt Sommer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:26 pm

If a slaver is insisting on Avatar appearance changes in RP.

Then RP them.

If the Slaver is asking them OOC'ly

Tell him to fuck off, in a nice slave like way. ;)

If you want changes, you pay for them.
If he want's changes and you are cool with the idea of changing, he/she pays for them if they want to see it in the RP environment.
Runt
SL Name: Pie
Owner: Real Life

Postby Runt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:02 pm

Jani wrote:I'd be inclined to say the slaver does simply because of the fact that it's his desire to change the slave to what he wants. Granted you can make the arguement that the slave must want the changes as well seeing she is now willing enough to be under the control of the slaver, but then I'd argue back that the slave was perfectly happy with theirself as they were. How much would you expect someone else to pay out of their pocket to make themselves fit the image you see for them? Then where does it stop? Does the slaver want the slave to wear only the best clothing? Maybe the slave is all for the changes then yeah they both can pay equally, but if you want me to change my dress, my looks, hair and what have you, then buy the stuff for me same as if I want you to wear a striped head, I'd give you the hair not expect you to go out and buy it.

Assumptions. The OP never said anything about whether the slave rp'er wanted or didn't want these changes, only that she accepted the rp. To guess that she's perfectly happy with herself as she was is pure speculation. You could also speculate that she'd been wanting to change her shape but didn't know how to make it look its best. Enter slaver with a good eye and she's all excited and thanking him for finally coming to her rescue and helping her look better. Does that change it then? Now suddenly, he's just assisting her in getting what she wants, so now it would be more on the side of -her- paying for it all.

You can only take what he said in the OP to make your decision on what you feel they should do and that is, he suggests it, she accepts it.

Now if she had objected and didn't want to change, that would indeed make it different. Pies twin sister Lil was played by a very close friend of mine. She entered into the rp hoping to maintain her own unique look, but the role was already of an indentical twin. Because she didn't want to change her shape/skin, I gave her Pies shape and we paid for her new skin. She wore it without complaints for the rp then changed back to herself when she was out of Gor. For that I'd agree, the person insisting on the change would pay. But the OP said nothing of insisting and the slave resisting, so I have to go with equal...since it was presented as an equally accepted idea.
Adoveea Rau
SL Name: Adoveea Rau
Caste: Builder
AkA: Lady

Postby Adoveea Rau » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:26 pm

A slaver and his new property get involved in an ongoing roleplay storyline, 'roleplay
where the slaver takes dramatic steps to transform her appearance. roleplay
This process includes:
-Cutting and re-styling her hair roleplay
-Having her gain weight and develop more muscular features roleplay
-Tanning her skin substantially roleplay
-Applying a custom brand to her thighroleplay
All these actions are done in-character through detailed roleplay and all the consequences of this roleplay are accepted. roleplay

All these actions will require purchase of new avatar items: hairstyles, a new skin, and possible modifications to her shape (let's pretend that it requires purchase of a shape), tattoos, clothing, etc. OOC
The question- who foots the bill for purchasing these avatar modifications? OOC

I like categorizing out the difference of occ vs roleplay.

Roleplay
is an acceptance of two folks acting out a story together

OOC is the out of character actions decided upon by each person on the keyboard. No one has the ability to make anyone to do anything they don't want with their little cartoon character. That includes paying a bill to purchase anything. That is very much an OOC action and decision by the player on the keyboard.

In this case, the keyboard player, doing the role of a slave is really making the decision OOC wise if she wants to purchase anything to match the roleplay visually because the items will belong to her avatar. The other player can offer to purchase/aid/assist her, but the items will belong to her by inventory.

Both players can do the roleplay with appearance sliders and body shape creation and finding free items without paying a single linden for anything.

See how clear cut it can become when it comes down to the routine of OOCWISE "who owns the items?"
See why I keep saying "draw the line between your OOC and your roleplay".
Last edited by Adoveea Rau on Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reputation is what others know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself.

Return to “Slaves”