The Slave Personality

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.

Answer only if you are a woman playing a slave: What is your role in real life?

Entertainment
1%
Entertainment
1%
Nursing
6%
Nursing
6%
Daycare Provider (Child or Adult)
No votes
Daycare Provider (Child or Adult)
No votes
Hospitality
1%
Hospitality
1%
Managerial
7%
Managerial
7%
Sales
1%
Sales
1%
Clerical/Administrative
3%
Clerical/Administrative
3%
Teaching
7%
Teaching
7%
Homemaker
3%
Homemaker
3%
Other (Elaborate Please)
19%
Other (Elaborate Please)
19%

Total votes: 68
~pancake~
SL Name: Linnet, Linx,
Role: OOC
AkA: Pinkie Pie

Re: The Slave Personality

Postby ~pancake~ » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm not sure if it's two different theories MamaKittie. Yes nurses, teachers and home makers are nurturers, but quite a few of them are "in charge" and in positions of power. The lady who tells Mr. Roadrash that no he can't get out of bed for a smoke and he will sit still while she pulls gravel out of his wounds, or the one who keeps 32 little pre-teen snots in line, is in charge.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:16 pm

Emuna wrote:
Edda wrote:I think being submissive often expresses itself in relationships with certain people. I do not think there are many individuals who are always submissive, always nurturing, always anything.....

I agree. Now can we get a label for that or category? ;)

I cosign this!!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:18 pm

~Linnet~ wrote:I'm not sure if it's two different theories MamaKittie. Yes nurses, teachers and home makers are nurturers, but quite a few of them are "in charge" and in positions of power. The lady who tells Mr. Roadrash that no he can't get out of bed for a smoke and he will sit still while she pulls gravel out of his wounds, or the one who keeps 32 little pre-teen snots in line, is in charge.

I very much agree. I think teachers and nurses very much have to be in charge of situations. If people in professions like that only see themselves as nurturing and subservient - then they are not good in their job.

Try to teach a class of 18 and 19 year old know it alls and try to be nice and nurturing! Recipe for disaster ;)

I was a very strict teacher and very well liked and respected by my students. It is usually the too nurturing and soft ones who run into trouble.
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Emuna wrote:
Edda wrote:Roving Warrior Kajira?

:wave:

*laughs and laughs*
You have been WAITING to spring that one on me.

Ah, I could not resist ;)
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Postby Mat » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Edda wrote:
~Linnet~ wrote:I'm not sure if it's two different theories MamaKittie. Yes nurses, teachers and home makers are nurturers, but quite a few of them are "in charge" and in positions of power. The lady who tells Mr. Roadrash that no he can't get out of bed for a smoke and he will sit still while she pulls gravel out of his wounds, or the one who keeps 32 little pre-teen snots in line, is in charge.

I very much agree. I think teachers and nurses very much have to be in charge of situations. If people in professions like that only see themselves as nurturing and subservient - then they are not good in their job.

Try to teach a class of 18 and 19 year old know it alls and try to be nice and nurturing! Recipe for disaster ;)

I was a very strict teacher and very well liked and respected by my students. It is usually the too nurturing and soft ones who run into trouble.

I am not a girl but I would think its the same for the men who like the femdom stuff. Usually they are the ones who are in authority positions and have alot of responsibility and wish to have little or no responsibility for a short while.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Tirza
SL Name: Tirza Ember
Owner: Josef Xaris

Postby Tirza » Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

I work at home now as a mother and a homemaker, no I am not in charge, that title goes to the two year old. Previous to becoming a mother, and when I was fresh in Gor, I was working as a lobbyist and political organizer. There was no category for that....entertainer? I really didn't see that position as subservient or nurturing, though I did fall into my job out of personal conviction and love. You can't really show a submissive face when you are trying to wrangle a congressional aid into finding you time with the congressman, nor when you are dealing with the press or any of the multitude of other tasks I accomplished. In the beginning, I don't think the D/s aspect of Gor appealed to me as much as the fantasy aspect. I often felt isolated in my job and unable to connect with people because of political facades, plus the fact that I worked from home and traveled as well, so being able to socialize with other people without pretense and without worrying about what "level" they were on was important to me.
Caranda
SL Name: Caranda Schreiner
Role: slave
Owner: Brigette Wade

Postby Caranda » Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Personally I think the slave RP as a contrast and relief from RL responsibility theory has at least as much going for it as the slave RP reflects RL occupation theory. Over the course of about 8 years of Gorean RP I have met many women who have demanding non-nurturing type RL jobs jobs who enjoy RPing Gorean slaves.

It's probably a mix of the two and a few other things besides.
It is regarded as right to enslave a natural slave
Ghost
SL Name: Ghost of a chance
Caste: of thousands
Role: with the punches
Home Stone: more weight
Owner: H'ish or J'ish
AkA: tsk tsk

Postby Ghost » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:14 am

Having run my own businesses in the past I can tell you that IME the boss is often as not serving the employees as much as the other way round. It's the boss who worries about finding enough orders to keep them happy and busy and employed. It's not the status or position that determines which occupation is slave-like or free-like so much as the mindset of the occupied.
"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a song sing it" Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu ;)
MammaKittie
SL Name: Grrrrr
Caste: Always Kittie
Home Stone: Right now in a world of pretty
Owner: Please...as if

Postby MammaKittie » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:18 am

These are the roles chosen as nurturing: Nursing, Daycare Provider, Hospitality, Teaching and Homemaker. Here's why they were chosen as nurturing roles: because these professions were non-compromising. In other words, you took on the role to care for or guide people regardless of their situation or demands. A nurse doesn't choose who the patient is, she cares for them regardless just as she would the next one. A teacher commits to teaching a child no matter their learning level. A hospitality worker commits to ensuring customer satisfaction, even if the customer is difficult and so on. Management, clerical, and the other positions mentioned, in our opinion, don't nurture but instead keep the best interest of the individual at the forefront.

Now before you begin to argue our argument, keep in mind this was not presented as a debate. This is nothing more than the idea of two individuals brought here to test. Certainly, every bit of our theory is indeed debateable but let's save that for another thread, please.

According to this poll and of the people who voted, not just the people who commented, 35% are in nurturing roles. 23% are in Managerial and Sales and 42% are Other - with no votes cast for the remaining categories. Other was not elaborated on enough to be more detailed.

I think it's pretty interesting though - that 35% - and in my own opinion, it does somewhat support the theory that women in the role of slave are more likely to be women who take on the role of nurturer in real life. Obviously, this is not the case 100% of the time. It's also interesting that women in a position of authority in the real world would take on a subserveant role in Second Life. Another thread in the making?

Thank you ladies for the time! *Me shuffles all of her paperwork, nudges her nerdy glasses up her nose and hikes to her pals office with research in hand*
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Postby Mat » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:34 am

MammaKittie wrote:These are the roles chosen as nurturing: Nursing, Daycare Provider, Hospitality, Teaching and Homemaker. Here's why they were chosen as nurturing roles: because these professions were non-compromising. In other words, you took on the role to care for or guide people regardless of their situation or demands. A nurse doesn't choose who the patient is, she cares for them regardless just as she would the next one. A teacher commits to teaching a child no matter their learning level. A hospitality worker commits to ensuring customer satisfaction, even if the customer is difficult and so on. Management, clerical, and the other positions mentioned, in our opinion, don't nurture but instead keep the best interest of the individual at the forefront.

Now before you begin to argue our argument, keep in mind this was not presented as a debate. This is nothing more than the idea of two individuals brought here to test. Certainly, every bit of our theory is indeed debateable but let's save that for another thread, please.

According to this poll and of the people who voted, not just the people who commented, 35% are in nurturing roles. 23% are in Managerial and Sales and 42% are Other - with no votes cast for the remaining categories. Other was not elaborated on enough to be more detailed.

I think it's pretty interesting though - that 35% - and in my own opinion, it does somewhat support the theory that women in the role of slave are more likely to be women who take on the role of nurturer in real life. Obviously, this is not the case 100% of the time. It's also interesting that women in a position of authority in the real world would take on a subserveant role in Second Life. Another thread in the making?

Thank you ladies for the time! *Me shuffles all of her paperwork, nudges her nerdy glasses up her nose and hikes to her pals office with research in hand*

The primes behind your theory is very much debatable as you stated. I know I personally brought up some issues with it as I think it is part of this discussion especially if you are gathering stats from it. I think stats drawn from questionable assumptions are questionable at best them self.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him

Return to “Slaves”