Coming Back...

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.
CrowB
SL Name: Crow Bergson
Role: slave
Home Stone: The ORIGINAL SL Turia (c.2005)
AkA: Laurie Landmann

Re: Coming Back...

Postby CrowB » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:17 pm

Wow, thanks for taking the time to give me such great advice. I had to smack my head at mention of visiting sims on a male av - the obvious solution! It also never occurred to me to use an npc owner long-term. That may be a perfect fit for what I need right now.

Okay okay, I'll find a mesh body! The HUDS seem like a real pain, but if I take the time to make and save outfits as suggested, it should be okay. That much effort may actually curb my shopping addiction! I want to retain some semblance of the old Crow - I'm rather attached to her after all this time. And what's the thing with the mesh boobs? They look good from the front, but I'm a bit put-off by the profile. No offense to anyone, but to my eye, they look like cupcakes with a cherry on top. Or a shelf with a cupcake and a cherry on top. Seriously, how many women have nipples like that? *sigh*

I particularly appreciate your info re: individualization.

Looks like I need to do some serious shopping for a new bod before I shop for a new home. Again, thank you all!
"Those who know Gor, know that in it are contained all expressions of the love for life, the love of beauty, the love of strength, the love of honor, even the love which a group of men can feel toward a simple stone." Marcus of Ar
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:16 pm

The nipples are mostly a question of skin (so, the appliers) and the boobs may be shaped and sized in many different ways. Plus, following the body you use, they will look different as well, more or less perky.
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:30 pm

Sasi wrote:The nipples are mostly a question of skin (so, the appliers) and the boobs may be shaped and sized in many different ways. Plus, following the body you use, they will look different as well, more or less perky.

Lumae has some lovely and affordable skins, and a free gift one (last I looked) with all tones and appliers, and several boob shading options.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:49 am

TMP used to have a free mesh body (wearable demo), the only caveat to it is you can't alpha out body sections or add appliers so you're stuck with the build in skins (which are still pretty nice) and have to alter the body shape to fit under any mesh clothing you may want to use.

Genesis Labs has beautiful mesh heads for cheap, there are some free group gifts at their store, and you can also get heads/appliers in their many gatchas if you don't mind playing the luck game.

You can find skin/clothing/makeup appliers for cheap if you hit the big sales, The Dressing Room Fusion, We <3 RP, Uber, Collabor88, The Fantasy Collective, etc. (check Seraphim http://seraphimsl.com/ for deets, gallery, LM's).
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:58 am

I haven't been to female departments to see the Mesh heads on offer. But if I did, I could start putting names/models to every Mesh head seen in the world. Even with the allowance for subtle changes, they aren't that unique yet.

In the pre-Mesh era you could look at an avatar and recognise their skin too - even a non-fashionista as myself could. But the features were fairly unique and it revealed the person behind it is either;

- Following the fashionable herd, i.e. fish faces, blogger trends = of limited creativity.
- Wearing a store shape or in the worst scenario, freebie shapes = zero creativity.
- Has an honestly unique look = creative, and worth roleplaying with.

Some roleplayers want to project a certain character and they manage it very well with the classic SL features. It doesn't need to be a supermodel-hot look, but there are avatars you see and you know that person will be interesting to RP with by the personality invested in their features. Then all of that is lost when they switch to a generic Mesh head. It doesn't matter how many tweaks were made, any person can look at this head and name the store/model, hence, it's not a unique look. And that's why I say, for some avs the change is an improvement. But for most avs I've seen, it took something away from them.

I am being a hypocrite here as the last avatar I used was all mesh from Niramyth. But............. for those interesting looking female avatars, they should keep their look until the next generation of fully customisable Mesh heads.
Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:12 pm

When you are creative, you are always unique with even with a mesh head. You are unique by the style of your role play, of your personality. You have your unique fashion style, how you dress your character, how you mix and match the makeup, your hair, your eyes, etc. It doesn't really matter if you can recognize the head's brand as it didn't matter when you could recognize the skin before (and whatever the shape you used, you still looked like a more or less close relative of another woman using the same skin than you).

Actually, I don't care if my avatar looks unique or not, my ego can deal pretty well with not having a unique appearance in Second Life. I care if my avatar pleases me and if its appearance suits my tastes as well as the RP genres in which I RP.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:56 am

Sasi wrote:When you are creative, you are always unique with even with a mesh head. You are unique by the style of your role play, of your personality. You have your unique fashion style, how you dress your character, how you mix and match the makeup, your hair, your eyes, etc. It doesn't really matter if you can recognize the head's brand as it didn't matter when you could recognize the skin before (and whatever the shape you used, you still looked like a more or less close relative of another woman using the same skin than you).

Actually, I don't care if my avatar looks unique or not, my ego can deal pretty well with not having a unique appearance in Second Life. I care if my avatar pleases me and if its appearance suits my tastes as well as the RP genres in which I RP.

I don't know. I'm with Tantus on this one. I dislike mesh heads because they take away a lot of variety between players who otherwise are known for more unique looks.

I'm also pretty certain that men are a lot more visual, so while it's not the end of the world that some females look like clones of eachother, and their roleplay still surely will be unique from one another, for male typists it's still an important factor. Detailed female avatars with a unique look are many times more interesting to roleplay with than those with cloned looks, in my opinion. Sadly I've not seen much variety among mesh heads of the same types yet.

It's the same reason why I personally avoid mesh heads still for my own avatars. A different headshape can really make the same skin look a lot different, in my opinion.
Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:08 pm

Yes, I can understand your point, Anarch, but actually, I have never observed a lot of variety between female avatars with the system head.....
As for men, actually, there isn't enough choice of mesh heads, same for the appliers...
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:28 am

There are so many mesh head and applier combinations I hardly see many replicas. If anything its the same issue because people tend to use the same skin brand as a fad and that applied a lot to mesh heads.
Now since the applier thing has skyrocketed a bunch of new brands has appeared and the variety of appliers has as well made heads look a lot more different.
Then you also have to consider some people have really not considered how to use hair with mesh heads or adjust their eyes so they look silly still.
I like the new mesh heads and have nothing against them but certainly doesn't remove the requirement of good taste and they take a lot to rezz so whenever I get into a sim to rezz people look like the Pac Man ghosts after digestion.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Saras
SL Name: Sarasvatii
AkA: midget

Postby Saras » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:37 pm

There's also the ability, with many of the mesh heads, to use alternative lips and other add ons like freckles, etc, that can, often times, drastically change the appearance of a mesh head. Also some heads, like Genesis, have the ability to adjust the shape in some ways and that too can very much change the look.

And then there's this... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

After several months using the mesh heads, I can honestly say that I will never go back to a system head. For me, personally, I can hardly stand looking at a system head now. Sure, there are great skins with good structure underneath, but there is still pixelation around the lips, and the noses are usually REALLY bad no matter how hard you try.

Return to “Slaves”