Coming Back...

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.
CrowB
SL Name: Crow Bergson
Role: slave
Home Stone: The ORIGINAL SL Turia (c.2005)
AkA: Laurie Landmann

Coming Back...

Postby CrowB » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:00 pm

I have been playing Crow Bergson since 2006, beginning in Glorious Ar, when no one knew the difference between IC and OOC. I've taken a couple years off (including a year away from SL altogether), but as always, Gor is calling me back. What a pain trying to figure out how to do all the most basic things again! I am hoping for some advice from those of you playing slave characters now. First, do I really have to use a mesh body to fit in and not look like a nOOb? Secondly, I'm seeking a BtB roleplay sim where there are people around when I"m typically online. Is there a way I can visit and check out sims as a slave without getting collared? Even if I wear a collar and claim an npc owner, it doesn't make sense for a slave to be traveling around Gor by herself. I've got plenty of backstory to get me in once I know where I want to play, but I don't want to make a commitment until I know more about a sim. Thank you!!!
"Those who know Gor, know that in it are contained all expressions of the love for life, the love of beauty, the love of strength, the love of honor, even the love which a group of men can feel toward a simple stone." Marcus of Ar
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Coming Back...

Postby Tantus » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:41 pm

I could only speculate on some of your post, but for another perspective, you could try your sim hopping on a male avatar. Use something like an Arian builder or physician for fewer complications at each city's gate, then mingle and see how they roleplay.

Mesh snobbery is a thing, except on some Lifestyle'ish sims people are still roleplaying without. At the very least a person should be using mesh hair and feet. But Mesh heads are hit or miss. Of the mesh heads I've seen on female avatars, I'd estimate only 10% have improved their appearance. For many others it's been a tragic result and I've had to tell some RP partners to remove their mesh head if we're going to continue roleplaying! I've never had to make such requests before but when the person you're roleplaying with turns up looking like a plastic doll... it's not funny.
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:28 am

I see a lot of slave dances lately. The mesh girls have 3 kinda problems: they all look the same (same kinda breasts), they are often naked (because old clothing does not fit mesh bodies) and they lag terrible, which is deadly at a dance contest.

"So do we need mesh bodies?" Not really. One of your issues solved :)
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:33 am

Do you need a mesh body? Yes of course. Especially if you play a slave. Mesh bodies improve your appearance, save if you like having a body with curves which look as if they had been badly cut with scissors.... A mesh body is necessary if you like big boobs, because big boobs on the classic LL body... Yeah, just hideous.

The mesh girls do no look the same, actually. There are several brands of mesh bodies (when there is only -one- classic SL body, so, more possibilities to personalize your body) and tone of skins appliers. Following the way you make you shape, you can personalize your body at your linking.

The old clothing which don't fit a mesh body are the old layers we tended to wear before meshes. Most of them are anyway, outdated. Plus, you may find cloth layers specifically designed for mesh bodies. But most mesh clothes fit the mesh bodies as well. I played a slave for a few weeks, I didn't get any problem. Sometimes, you have to modify a bit your shape, in this case, I make a new shape for every outfit I save, and I save as well a a copy of my body with the alphas I set. A habit to take, at the end, really it's easy. So, you don't have to mod and set again the alphas every time you change your outfit. Just a click and you are dressed. I saved an outfit as well for when my avatar has to be naked.

Personally, I have the The Mesh Project mesh body and the Maitreya one. I love my TMP, but when you start with the mesh bodies, you risk a headache just at trying to buy it with the store's particular purchase system... Plus, 5K... Belleza proposes a few different curved ones, as well as SLink. Try them and buy your favorite. Due to TMP policy, some designers are reluctant to make clothes for this bodies (though, I didn't meet many issues with mesh clothes) but they often design fitted mesh clothes for Maitreya, Belleza or SLink. And as I said, I played a slave and didn't get any particular difficulty to dress my avatar. My friends who have a mesh body don't have particular problem neither.

About mesh heads, it's as you want, personally, I have a few (and will probably buy one of those designed by Catwa). You won't look more like a clone with a mesh head than those women whose skin you can easily identify in just taking a brief look at it, who often wear the shape sold with the skin or who follow some "face fashion" (narrow eyes with heavy eyeliner, more or big fish style mouth with a gap, frowned brows, a style that many bloggers love...).
But there again, most skin designers, now,sell skins and makeup appliers. You can mix and match and get a unique look.

Do mesh bodies lag? No, they are low scripted. If you lag, it's more likely a problem of memory in your PC.

The meshes are definitely a huge improvement bought to SL.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:49 am

It's a myth that mesh bodies, and even mesh heads all look alike.

Like Sasi said, mesh bodies look very different given the range of choices available (Belleza, Maitreya, TMP, SLink being the most popular and well supported by clothing and skin appliers, but lesser known versions often have Omega applier capabilities which open up possibilities as well), the range of skin choices available, and the fact that mesh bodies can be altered dramatically and personalized by changing your shape. Likewise, most mesh heads can be changed dramatically with different skin appliers, make up, and even to a lesser extent, some of the head sliders will alter the look as well. The only cookie cutter looks you'll find are those who buy the most popular body/head and wear the most popular skin, and wear standard size shapes without bothering to personalize or tweak to make the look their own. Also, given that even 'cookie cutter' looks can look very different with different styles of hair and clothing and eyes, I've found that there's no more "sameness" with mesh than there was with the old system skins/hair back where everyone had that awful orange tan shiny skin and ramen noodle flexi hair. We've come a long way and people on the whole look much better now! :D

As for lag? People need to be sure to take their HUD's off, they are lag monsters, however the mesh parts themselves shouldn't be too bad without the HUD's.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Yeah, I'm with Sasi and Tamar. I wasn't initially a fan of the mesh head when it first appeared, and there were a LOT of AV's that did look the same, but now there are so many appliers and skins that since my own return to Gor SL I've changed my mind.

I play on a couple of different AV's... for one I use the belleza body with my own previous shape and skin.. it works just fine and I like that look the best to be honest (though I do wear mesh eyelashes too). My other I use a Maitreya body with the logo head. I don't feel I look particularly any more or any less than anyone else before the change over.

I'm not a fan of mesh *seperates* - ie boobs, arse, feet etc... I just prefer the whole body to be mesh.

And thanks for the tip about removing the hud... I didn't realise it caused lag.
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
serene mistwood

Postby serene mistwood » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:35 pm

CrowB wrote: Is there a way I can visit and check out sims as a slave without getting collared? Even if I wear a collar and claim an npc owner, it doesn't make sense for a slave to be traveling around Gor by herself. I've got plenty of backstory to get me in once I know where I want to play, but I don't want to make a commitment until I know more about a sim. Thank you!!!

If you are claiming an NPC owner, just RP he is visiting a friend, a family member, a merchant etc whilst visiting in that city and you are on an errand for him whilst he is seeing to his own business there. If you decide you want to become part of that sim, simply RP some kind of an abandonment story and go to the city or a private slave house. It's always worked for my new slave characters ;)
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:50 pm

serene mistwood wrote:
CrowB wrote: Is there a way I can visit and check out sims as a slave without getting collared? Even if I wear a collar and claim an npc owner, it doesn't make sense for a slave to be traveling around Gor by herself. I've got plenty of backstory to get me in once I know where I want to play, but I don't want to make a commitment until I know more about a sim. Thank you!!!

If you are claiming an NPC owner, just RP he is visiting a friend, a family member, a merchant etc whilst visiting in that city and you are on an errand for him whilst he is seeing to his own business there. If you decide you want to become part of that sim, simply RP some kind of an abandonment story and go to the city or a private slave house. It's always worked for my new slave characters ;)

Yes, but actually, a sim should allow you, even after you joined it, to keep your NPC ower without forcing you to join a slaver house. It's the best way to keep control on your RP and to play the status you want, pleasure slave, tower slave, high slave, etc.
serene mistwood

Postby serene mistwood » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:03 pm

Sasi wrote:

Yes, but actually, a sim should allow you, even after you joined it, to keep your NPC ower without forcing you to join a slaver house. It's the best way to keep control on your RP and to play the status you want, pleasure slave, tower slave, high slave, etc.

Yes, good sims will. I just prefer the leap into the unknown on new characters personally for a (hopefully) more authentic *gorean* experience :mrgreen:
Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:56 pm

I still need to see a city kennel offering an authentic Gorean experience, though :mrgreen:

Return to “Slaves”