Yes Ceri, you are right, it's also our responsability to make mentalities change.
But let's face some realities:
- Sim owners make these rules, they're convinced they are the best. When you try a discussion, and especially if you play a slave, they will likely shrug at you, tell you to find another sim, and call you a princess slave.
- Many slave players have a private owner. Often they don't read the rules, they don't give a shit as they spend most of their time with their RP partner.
- Most "city slaves" players are perfectly happy, they come live their BDSM fantasies in a more exotic environment than the average BDSM sim, they have been told that a kajira serves and obeys and it's enough for their enjoyment.
- Most people in SL Gor didn't really read the books. They stuck by the basics, "slaves are animal, must be of exquisite beauty and perfectly obedient, they are happy with their collar, men lead, rule, command, FW know their place". Try after to point to them that finally, when you read the books, it's a bit more complex and that black and white model doesn't blindly apply.
- For most people, IC and OOC separation = No OOC chat in open chat, no OOC comment in an IC post...
- Schools (Gorean Campus, Port Haifa, Gorean University...) are harmful to SL Gor... They never teach about the IC and OOC separation (I remember two very lame classes from Port Haifa and Gorean Campus which were supposed to teach this point) and often, mix IC and OOC (people required to behave IC in all times while attending these classes when the content is obviously OOCly). They are very confusing to new RPers.
- Those like us who have a strong knowledge of the Gorean environment, who are strict RPers, who separate their character from their real person and want a real OOC equality are a minority... And they finally never gathered on a project to make things change (there is strength in unity). I saw even on these forums people say "Yes it's crap, but their sim their rules"... With such statement, things never change and if you want to play a slave character, you will likely have to deal with the crap, whatever the sim you join (and your choice of decent sims is very very limited).
I personally don't have an issue about how people want to play their role, if a slave player wants to play a cookie cutter, the perfect doormat, a waitress and chore machine, it's her right. I just wish to have the right to choose how I want to play my character, without being strongly limited by crap rules, even non BTB requirements and being called a princess slave (OOC insult, actually).
And yes, like Leah... As soon as I am done with my current stuff, it's as FW that I will maybe return to Gor and give up my attempt to play a slave. There is not just the fact to be unable to control our own RP, but also I can no longer accept to be considered like a second class SL Resident....