Food for thought on Slaves and Spare time.

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Food for thought on Slaves and Spare time.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:50 pm

I think one of the most frustrating things of being a slave, slaver, or even a free who owns slaves is the box they have been trained to stay in.

"What does the girl do in her free time?" asked Audrey.
"Much what she pleases," I said. "She will have friends among the other slaves. She walks, she visits. She exercises, she reads. Within limits she can do what she wants to do."
"Can she work outside the compartments?" asked Audrey.
"If it is permitted by the master," I said, "and it does not in any way compromise her slavery." I smiled. "Some women," I said, "wear to their work the garments of a free woman but, when they return to their compartments, don as they must the silk of a slave, which is their true condition."
"Is such a thing often permitted by a master?" asked Audrey.
"Commonly not," I said. "Such a thing is often thought to compromise a girl's slavery. It is usually not permitted to her. Usually she is kept as full and absolute slave, not so much as permitted to touch the garment of a free woman."
Beasts of Gor - Page 24

This 1 quote breaks the rules of So many homes in Gor. Slaves being ordered to "keep themselves busy, always do chores, never sit around, serve or chores that's it. Busy, busy, busy. If your not serving your home, serve the city, give tours, blah blah blah. We have forced slave girls to think this way, we have forced them to believe that if you Don't think this way you are a princess slave.

Slaves were dynamic. They had their own life. They should be encouraged to have their own rps, their own friendships, and their own lives outside of serving their owners.

There is so much we do in game that is so profoundly wrong with the slave role. It is frightening, and the sad part is...because the degeneration is so wide spread and has been around for so long, I can't see it being fixed.
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Sabina Takakura
SL Name: WAT.
Caste: Hobo
Role: Zombie Killer
Home Stone: My cat.
Owner: Reddit.

Re: Food for thought on Slaves and Spare time.

Postby Sabina Takakura » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:51 pm

Ceri the Urt wrote:
Slaves were dynamic. They had their own life. They should be encouraged to have their own rps, their own friendships, and their own lives outside of serving their owners.

There is so much we do in game that is so profoundly wrong with the slave role. It is frightening, and the sad part is...because the degeneration is so wide spread and has been around for so long, I can't see it being fixed.

This. So much this.
I make it a habit to RP slaves because I've been there and I know how utterly boring it can be. You're expected to be a Stepford waitress. Bring me this. Serve me that. Do it perfectly or you're in trouble. Keep busy. Go do chores.

..... What chores? This was what ultimately turned me off from Torvie RP in general. To be a bond maid you had to work constantly, but those "chores" they expected you to do? They're off on the other part of the sim where there isn't anyone to RP with. Serve in the hall maybe? Ok maybe, but the majority of that time is spent serving drinks and food. That's it. You have a conversation and you're considered lazy.

There is so much more to any character than work. I am more than my job. I'm sure you are too. If there was one thing in SLGor I could change, this would be it. This. This. This.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:47 pm

I gave up playing a slave for those reasons, Ciri... I have been called a princess slave when I made clear that I didn't log in SL to focus on mundane actions, like chores, that in my RP, I would focus on interactions with people (and not just playing waitress "Fetch me a drink girl - Thank you, you may serve others/return to your chores), when I stated that most of those chores would be considered performed by my character while I, the typist, was off, when I said that no, if a slaver/FG wanted to check if the chore had been done, it would be in RP with me and not via NC,when I said that slave girls had free time, etc...

The following screen capture illust well, I think the idea of what people make about storylines when it comes to slaves:
Yes, looks promising until you open the attached pic:

And there is not just that... Take a look at some training programs... Last year, I got almost a fight with the FG of some city, because I said that it didn't make sense to ask my -Gorean native and adult- character to learn the names of fruits, veggies and drinks....

Most of these trainings are a bulk of ordeals you must perform in order to become a trained slave, with mandated RP. In a sim, I have been presented like a challenge, the preparation of a meal. And I was told to write all details, make etc, not just a few lines. Meanwhile, in the city, I was inflicted an awful half line RP by a guy who didn't even take turn posting...

Because in these sims, the slave training is meant to train the character, but the player to play her role (and play it bad because the crap which is taught). The authors of sim rules and slave training programs consider that slave players are RP noobs and must be told that abbreviations like lol and smileys are not accepted in RP (you never see that in FW and FM rules...). In these people's mind, if you play a slave, you are only a real sub discovering Gor and role play, never an experienced and creative RPer who had read the books and is well familiar with the Gorean environment. It's just insulting.

And it's almost the same everywhere, many cities have insane slave laws which mix IC and OOC, often even not BTB (tours, having to kneel in nadu even in presence of FW just because a man is present too, private slaves having to work for the city...) and sometimes, mandated OOC behavior (like opening the sim slave group chat and greet your sisters...............)
Should I mention this recent (RP) sim where, if you play a FM, you're told that if you have partnered (profile) your slave, the sim is not for you?

I saw an advertising for a sim, recently.... I already frowned when I saw that the FW rules stated that a woman couldn't allow a man to enter their home save if relative/council member/protector or couldn't enter another man's home under same conditions (when I asked the sim owner, he told me that I should know about the -counching laws- cuz me, poor ignorant noob and him having been in Gor for 20 years, so, knew better than me that counching laws were all about FW couching with FM...... Lol!) and the (2007 nostalgia) slave laws have been a definitive turn off.

Enjoy:
► Show Spoiler
Sabina Takakura
SL Name: WAT.
Caste: Hobo
Role: Zombie Killer
Home Stone: My cat.
Owner: Reddit.

Postby Sabina Takakura » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:03 pm

That's just.. sickening. :shakehead2:
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:08 pm

I love how if you are being harassed by someone, and block them, you still have to RP with them. :roll:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:25 am

My "favorite" is this one:

If you are caught passing chat to anyone else, you will be punished by death. Again IM's will remain private and not copied to share gossip or such. That is un kajira like behavior and will not be tolerated.

IC death for an OOC action and "Unkajira like behavior"............... A guy who understood everything about IC and OOC separation.

Ceri will love these ones, I'm sure:
4. A slave should never be observed being idle.... If you need a moment you beg to kennel (must beg three times, if no response then you can assume they are AFK and may leave), or rp an excuse to make yourself unseen and set AFK. When present, a slave shouldn't be seen sitting about and gossiping about the latest mesh hair... remain IC this is a role play sim and OOC chatter should remain in IMs. When about the city make yourself busy-- rp cleaning the walk, cooking in the inn or tavern, gathering the Frees laundry, practicing dancing in the tavern, working on your descriptive writing for serves, etc. Chores are always available, if you are unsure what you can be doing, find a free and offer your services.

And better have no RL emergency that will require you turn afk, since you're required to beg permission... I imagine the scene in RL "Yes Darling, will come as soon as I get permission to turn afk in SL-Gor!"

5. Always offer a greeting and tour to visiting Free and or slaves, we want people to feel welcome and enjoy their stay regardless of how long they intend to be here. We welcome travelers and hope to develop strong trade ties to the rest of Gor. You are a reflection of your owners and the city , so always try to be pleasing.

Again a sim where slaves are touristic guides and in charge for sim promotion.

This one is not bad neither: Please note, if traveling with a free of Minoa , you must make sure there is another slave about that can carry on duties while you are away.
In the lame FM rules (which are very short). men can travel without making sure that there is another man to defend the whole city against villains....

"No shortcuts (OMG, BRB, LMAO, TY, U, UR, etc.) are to be used ever. Don't be a lazy slave... type it out."

I suppose that those who RP a FM and FW character are allowed to use these shortcuts as they can be lazy since they are not slaves. plus, this point is not mentioned in their rules....

"Retarded RPers of SL-Gor"
RavingRob
SL Name: RavingRob Radek
Caste: Of Questionable Repute
Role: Keep Wondering
Home Stone: A City of Dust

Postby RavingRob » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:16 am

Hmmmn... I'll have to get sparkle to look at this.... The was NO END to the mischief she could get into, when left unsupervised! :D
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:42 am

All of this seems to come from a strange inability or unwillingness to separate IC from OOC. Anyone playing a slave in SL Gor is assumed to be a slave or a sub in RL for some reason.

I've seen sims and people that claim to be roleplayers and would take great offense at being called "lifestylers" that would STILL, without a lick of self-awareness, treat people playing slaves differently IC and OOC, speaking to them differently in IM's, more authoritative and more likely to try to take control of their roleplay from and OOC standpoint. It's really fascinating how ingrained it is in that particular 'subculture'.

There are also the people who rail against being associated in any way with BDSM, despite the fact that Gor is dripping with the trappings of such but that's another whole discussion.

I've only seen one sim in all my time playing in SL Gor that treated players equal regardless of their chosen IC role but it's closed now, sadly, and we still had to work really hard to enforce that and still encountered pushback from certain players.

I'd love to see more sims that actually encouraged roleplay instead of shutting it down for slave characters. As it is, we seem to be stuck with sims that are an odd mix of roleplay and lifestyle, especially where slave characters are concerned and I totally understand the frustration expressed on this thread- I'm a roleplayer who'd love to play a slave character again, but not on a sim where I'm treated like a child, or a waitress, and where I will have to deal with OOC bullshite if I try to play my character as an actual character and not a perfect, bland, mindless servant doing the same thing day in and day out.

I think lifestyler sims have their place for people and I don't begrudge their existence at all- I just wish we could get an -actual- roleplay sim opened, and not a sim that claimed to be roleplay but did that same old tired lifestyler two-step where slaves were concerned.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:02 pm

Ugh those rules make me want to stab myself in the eye. :pissed:

Seriously, I think that Gor has been around long enough, and in such a way...that it could be considered far more roleplay then lifestyle.

Now, to play the devils advocate to my own post...(I know the irony right?) I am a Firm believer that we teach people how to treat us. As a slave "Player" you also have the responsibility to step out of the box and do different things to help open up those roleplay stigmas and let people see that a slave "Can Be" so much more then what has been seen. YOU have to be the entertainer as well as the entertained. You cannot rely on everyone Else to make roleplay for you. Slave rpers have to stop being afraid of silly punishments, or being seen as princesses and start being true to the character. Nothing is more frustrating then attempting to include a slave in your rp and having to basically lead them along like a lost puppy because they are clueless in how to truly engage as anything more then a waitress or maid.

In other words, Free need to get rid of the bogus rules and start treating slaves like ooc equal roleplayers and not lifestylers, and slaves need to step up and take advantage of their new found ability to rp more freely and actually...rp more freely, without waiting for a free to tell them to go do something.
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:14 pm

Much as I enjoy playing a slave, if I ever do return to SL Gor, it won't be as a slave character. I got really, really, really tired of feeling like I couldn't control my own story.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499

Return to “Slaves”