Some bonds can never be broken an oxymoron?

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.

Answer the poll

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Yes
6%
Yes
6%
No
11%
No
11%
I'm an OxyMoron
17%
I'm an OxyMoron
17%
I bake brownies, the green kind
17%
I bake brownies, the green kind
17%

Total votes: 36
Caranda
SL Name: Caranda Schreiner
Role: slave
Owner: Brigette Wade

Re: Some bonds can never be broken an oxymoron?

Postby Caranda » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:44 pm

Off the top of my head I can't think of a single female who is enslaved in the books and who isn't "broken" - personally I prefer "tamed" or "taught her slavery" though. Even Verna learns slavery at the hands of Marlenus.

Bondmaid is simply nothing more than the Torvaldsland word for "slave". Whether a particular bondmaid is a hot slut or not depends on the girl, her training, experiences and owners. Just as there are southern tower slaves who serve FW there are also bondmaids who serve the FW of Torvaldsland. If a FW of Torvaldsland has the means and inclination to own slaves she can if she wishes buy them and if she wants them to act unsexual she can require that. If so she'd be wise to buy girls who haven't been long in the hands of men!

When Tarl and Ivar go to kidnap Hilda the Haughty we learn that she owns no less than five bondmaids, who sleep in the room outside her own.

I looked up. I could see the window of the quarters of Hilda the Haughty, daughter of Thorgard of Scagnar. There was a lamp lit still in the room. Apparently she stayed up late. Outside the door of the compartment of her five bond-maids, curled sleeping on the floor, on their straw-filled mats, chained by their ankles, which area led into her own apartment, somnolent and bored, were four guards.
It is regarded as right to enslave a natural slave
Shjade
SL Name: Shjade Rajal
Caste: Entertainer (Singer/Poet)
Role: Inspiration
Home Stone: Shangrila

Re: Some bonds can never be broken an oxymoron?

Postby Shjade » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:51 pm

"Some slaves can never be broken" (reworded to avoid confusion) is not an oxymoron. It may be inaccurate (hard to prove) but it's not an oxymoron as slaves need not inherently be broken to be slaves. To be an oxymoron brokenness would be an intrinsic part of slavery, thereby making a non-broken slave a contradiction as a slave is broken by default. All that's required to be a slave is some official indicator of that fact: a collar, a brand, etc. You don't have to be broken for someone to push you into a bond circle and declare you're a slave now. Tada, you're a slave, you're not broken, and if you're killed before someone "breaks" you then you've just proven the statement true: you were a slave who was not broken. You were killed instead, granted, but you weren't broken.

Assuming getting killed is a disqualifier: is it a true statement? Probably not - "never" is a very long time to remain unbroken. Even if you're enslaved and freed before that enslavement breaks you it's possible you'll be enslaved again and broken sometime later in life - Goreans did live a long time after all. Whether or not it's true, however, does not determine its status as an oxymoron. "Your shoes are untied" isn't an oxymoron if your shoes are, in fact, tied. It's just wrong.
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Return to “Slaves”