Some bonds can never be broken an oxymoron?

Discussions related to Kajira, Kajirus, Bonds and Thralls.

Answer the poll

Poll ended at Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Yes
6%
Yes
6%
No
11%
No
11%
I'm an OxyMoron
17%
I'm an OxyMoron
17%
I bake brownies, the green kind
17%
I bake brownies, the green kind
17%

Total votes: 36
Crack and Thump
SL Name: 1

Re: Some bonds can never be broken an oxymoron?

Postby Crack and Thump » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:26 pm

I used to scream that break me if you want me to be a good slave crap until I met that one that told me there was no need to break me. I either did what he said or died. *sighs* I love that man.

Anywho, I feel it depends on what the owner/slaver wants to break. Breaking a slave out of habits that were of a free person, I can see that. There has to be a learning period and when the slave forgets, in comes correction. I noticed this being done in the books, especially with barbarians. But I don't remember something like a slave's spirit being what was sought after to break.
Cortez
SL Name: Cortez
Role: Sippy Cup
Home Stone: The Borough

Postby Cortez » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:20 am

This reminds me of the forums drinking game Aashe and I once tried to start.

I don't know whether to drop an AC/DC Grammy shout out, or legitimately answer this question. So I'll do both.

No. It's not an oxymoron. An oxymoron is a statement or figure of speech in which contradictory terms are applied to create a self-contradictory effect. There is no contradiction in this statement. And, well---the word some makes a contradiction impossible to begin with.
"Paranoids are not paranoid because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, fucking idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations." — Thomas Pynchon
Mazzy Star

Postby Mazzy Star » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:30 am

Alexandra Actor wrote:Some bonds really never can be broken - especially when it's emotional bonds. These bonds are invisible, but they are stronger than the strongest steel chain.

Bondmaids, on the other hand - well, a woman has to be broken to become a bondmaid (or slave in general)

Cortez wrote:No. It's not an oxymoron. An oxymoron is a statement or figure of speech in which contradictory terms are applied to create a self-contradictory effect. There is no contradiction in this statement. And, well---the word some makes a contradiction impossible to begin with.

There's no contradiction in this figure of speech that you looked to find the title on google or wiki-pedia? First of all, it is technically a figure of speech with meaning. Above shows the two contradictory factors that parallel each other.For the purpose of the statement, it's applied to sound self-contradictory to give that effect. This is Gor, Bonds never broken are usually killed. I doubt some bonds would want to be killed.

I'm not saying I believe it's a oxymoron, but with deeper reasoning it actually does sound like one and it could.
Double Aa
SL Name: Mr Gor

Postby Double Aa » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:37 am

To quote one of the preeminent philosophers of our time:

"Someday love will find you
Break those chains that bind you
One night will remind you
How we touched and went our separate ways
If he ever hurts you
True love won't desert you
You know I still love you
Though we touched and went our separate ways."

So my answer is no. No, it is not an oxymoron.
"In Gor, everyone plays to win so we just set up the rules to create mutually assured destruction."
Cortez

Postby Cortez » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:46 am

This is the point in the drinking game when you'd take a shot.

Lol, I don't have to google things I learned in 5th grade. I thought you were seriously asking a grammatical question, but of course I clicked the last answer to your survey, so I probably thought too hard and long into it.

As for your philosophical pondering, I will get back to my brownies and consider this a bit longer before providing a more thoughtful and on-topic response.

And my advice for the OP. I get told that my posts are overly wordy and tend to ramble, so I will share the gift of language with you. Next time you start a post, please feel free to enlighten us with your line of thinking so that you can get the productive, conversation pushing responses you seek. Don't be scared to use your words!

Ok, back to thinking....
"Paranoids are not paranoid because they're paranoid, but because they keep putting themselves, fucking idiots, deliberately into paranoid situations." — Thomas Pynchon
Mazzy Star

Postby Mazzy Star » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:28 am

Cortez wrote:Lol, I don't have to google things I learned in 5th grade.

Sure sounds like you gave a definition word for word. I doubt you'll remember something that detail from the 5th grade.

I thought you were seriously asking a grammatical question

Pay attention.

As for your philosophical pondering, I will get back to my brownies and consider this a bit longer before providing a more thoughtful and on-topic response.

Meanwhile you keep talking about your drinking game. It's not like anyone cares.

Next time you start a post, please feel free to enlighten us with your line of thinking so that you can get the productive, conversation pushing responses you seek.

I would expect the poster to give productive responses, with a simple question being asked. You don't have to necessarily understand a topic, when you're seeking the answer to a question. Case in point, what a loverly poster game to something in lines with what I was thinking, but didn't understand how to put it on paper. Meanwhile, the only way to answer it was with a question. Discussion, you know, talking about it, that's something that involves actually doing, rather than questioning things for validation for and going off topic with nonsensical thoughts.

Ok, back to thinking....
[/quote]
You get on with that. We'll be waiting.
Pingping Zhaoying
SL Name: MilMcMillan

Postby Pingping Zhaoying » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:32 am

I am starting to love Raditz, more and more.
Just not sure if that is a compliment ........
Cortez

Postby Cortez » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:33 am

Ok, let's try again. This is a much more awesome way to have started your post.

Raditz wrote:
There's no contradiction in this figure of speech that you looked to find the title on google or wiki-pedia? First of all, it is technically a figure of speech with meaning. Above shows the two contradictory factors that parallel each other.For the purpose of the statement, it's applied to sound self-contradictory to give that effect. This is Gor, Bonds never broken are usually killed. I doubt some bonds would want to be killed.

I'm not saying I believe it's a oxymoron, but with deeper reasoning it actually does sound like one and it could.

Any other insults/critiques for me, or shall we get back to your topic?
Mazzy Star

Postby Mazzy Star » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:34 am

Cortez wrote:Ok, let's try again. This is a much more awesome way to have started your post.

Raditz wrote:

Any other insults/critiques for me, or shall we get back to your topic?

I don't know, I've been waiting for your answer for the last 25 minutes or are you still talking about a drinking game? Actually most of the post was sarcastic, but if you consider sarcasm an insult, then I might be on my last legs.
Cortez

Postby Cortez » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:45 am

I guess I'm still trying to figure out your question in the midst of my brownies.

No, it's not an oxymoron. We already established that.

As for my 25 minute period of thinking (which by now is probably over 30), I can only add:

The philosophy on Gor is that all women can be broken, but Norman was also really big on making exceptions to every rule, so I'm gonna guess some bonds can't be broken. But as you suggested yourself, they were probably killed. Who wants an unheated slave? Unless of course she's a tower slave, but I was under the impression bond-maids weren't really women's slaves. Because part of being a bond-maid was being sexual, right? What woman would want a heated slave to serve her-- unless of course you're Talena and found it amusing to buy men's slaves just to belt them and watch them get all frustrated. (At least, I'm pretty sure that was her).

Return to “Slaves”